26th November 2008

I’ve found a brand new way to waste away countless hours on the computer. I’ve joined an ‘on-line community’. Its called Netmums and is;

A unique local network for Mums or Dads, offering a wealth of information on both a national and local level.

- apparently, according to its home page! For the last few weeks I’ve spent ages reading through advice on things, tips on unruly children, things to make with your kids and places to go. Then last week I ventured into the Forums. Wow, there are a lot of cyber mums out there! I initially started by looking at some of the things in the Post Natal Depression section, but that was far too depressing. Made me feel quite normal. Then I got some great tips and tricks from the Kitchen & Household boards. Which has actually really helped, people post all kinds of things, right down to what household chores do people do every day and every week. As we’ve all established I am right royally rubbish at housework, so knowing what other people do every day is great insight into what I should be doing and what people actually fill their days with!

Most recently I joined in with a thread for ladies who are having babies in April 2009... oh that includes me! It’s very strange but quite lovely. There are about 20 or so ladies who write every day. We have nothing in common except the fact we’re all pregnant. We share all sorts of things, everyday pregnancy niggles, opinions on breast feeding, the names we’re thinking of, what we’ve got up to each day. It’s fascinating! At the moment everyone’s having their 20 weeks scans and are either finding out what their having or not. It’s quite a strange experience, but quite interesting!

One thing I’ve discovered with all this forum malarkey is the phenomenon of tickers.
These are little boxes that people put on their signatures, mainly they count things! I have some, which basically say how old my children are and one which counts how pregnant I am, I’ll show you:
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Now these I feel are sweet, in their own uniquely tacky way and I don't mind that. Some I have seen, however defiantly say something about the people posting them. I’ll give you some examples....

a wedding website



Ok so I apologise to anyone who currently uses any of these, but I just think their hilarious, it's like having a big sign saying "I have porcelain spaniels on my mantle piece and 5 gold earrings in each ear what I bought from Argos."

God bless them! Also some people post in 'text speak' which I have to say I really don't understand. If you're sitting at a computer with a full keyboard in front of you, why not type in full sentences with grammar and punctuation?! I mean in some areas of the UK I worry that the written word is dying out and being replaced with this drivel - as if your paying by the letter!

Sorry, I will not get started on a full scale rant regarding the misuse of the English language. L8r ppl lol!

No comments: